Swamp Four Seasons

Swamp Four Seasons
Blessed by the beauty of Creation -
Sharing what I see from my little place in His world!

Saturday, January 10, 2015

My Bird Feeders (The Big Picture #2)

If you've been reading my blog awhile, you may have seen my post called "The Big Picture and the Big Owl".  Or maybe not, because that one didn't get a lot of hits.  So here's a link, if you missed it.

Back to my topic... the idea for "The Big Picture" series is to share with you some of the settings where I take my close-up photos.  The main place I do-- especially during the winter, is looking out our windows at our bird feeders.  One of my readers commented on FB that my last post was like taking a virtual walk (And, I have to add, this reader just celebrated her 90th birthday - Happy Belated Birthday Tommie! I hope if I make it to 90 I'll be as sharp as you are-- "virtual walk", indeed!)  

Okay, again, back to our topic!  My bird feeders...


 This is the view from our kitchen window.  There's a crab apple tree on the right, 3 feeders on a pole in the middle, and a bird table on the left.  The birds also eat on the railing and the deck floor.

We have 3 windows that look out onto the bird feeding area.  Next, we'll go to the bedroom window.  I don't typically take many photos from this window because I have to stand on a chair to do so.
It is a good vantage point, though, for seeing the bird table without any railings in the way.  The bird table is an old wooden picnic table.  It offers the songbirds two levels of feeding (table-top and on the ground) plus good protection from the elements, as well as from hawks who might be looking for a meal.  We put the evergreen boughs around the sides and back of the table before the first snowstorm, pushing the stems into the soil to hold them in place.
As you can see, it's a very popular spot...
 for more than just birds!
 I know sometimes deer visit at night, because I see their footprints in the morning when I go out to put more food on the table, but it was surprising to see these two in the middle of the afternoon on Thursday!
Squirrels (both grey and red) visit as well.
Ruby was here when the deer came, but she did not see them, because she was in the kitchen with me at the time.  She is too short to see out the kitchen window, but she does like to watch the birds from the dining room.  That window sill is just the right height for her, a perfect chin rest!  Might as well relax while you're bird watching.
This is the "big picture" from these windows:
You can see we have lots of trees for the birds to fly into and out of when going to the feeders. 
Did you notice we add to the hiding spots by putting our Christmas tree out for the birds when we are done with it?  That makes another protected spot during a snowstorm.  I throw some seeds for the ground feeding birds like juncos and sparrows under it, too.  When it's not snowing, I throw seed right on the deck.  I was delighted to see a little flock of Pine Siskins busily eating there on Friday.
The Chickadees and some of the other small birds like to get a seed from the feeders and bring it over to our Japanese Maple Tree to eat. 
It's fun to watch them so close.  Though they are only a couple of feet away, it's a little hard to take pictures of them there, because of all the twigs!  Sometimes they co-operate by sitting in just the right spot.
Mac likes the dining room windows, too.   He watched the birds on Friday- in this photo, 2 Juncos on the ground.

Too bad he can't see over by the bird table -- the Mourning Doves are cleaning up the cracked corn.
How many do you see?  I count 11.  There are more in the apple tree...

The Doves are hard to pick out because they are the same color as the branches, but you should also be able to see 3 male Cardinals in the Hemlock tree.

Here's what to look for, if you are trying to count doves! (I see 9 in the photo above).
 The Apple and the Hemlock trees are great places for the birds to hang out while they are resting, or waiting for me to replenish the food!  I put it out every morning, and usually again mid-afternoon so they have a good meal before night fall.  During stormy weather I often put it out 3 or more times a day.

So, if you are going to virtual bird with me, how about finding the birds in the next few photos?  I'll post the photos 'extra-large' to help you!
Look for 5 American Tree Sparrows and 1 Dark-eyed Junco

There are 5 Blue Jays in this one... one is a little hard to find, but he's there!
One Chickadee, 2 Tree Sparrows, 1 Downy Woodpecker, and 2 Goldfinches.
Four Goldfinches and 1 Downy Woodpecker
Two female Cardinals, 6 Tree Sparrows, 1 Goldfinch, and 1 Junco
One thing I realized as I was taking photos for this post is that it's much more fun to watch the birds in person than 'virtually'.  They are constantly on the move so in my photos, you aren't seeing the action, nor are you seeing all of the birds.  Well, Ruby says there is lots more room at the window and she is willing to share.





2 comments:

  1. Thanks. I like the "find a bird" it's better than "Where's Waldo".But i was waiting for a partridge in a pear tree. Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mom, love the close up chickadee picture - it's amazing how much you can see the different textures of its wings! And I'm glad both doggies made it in. :)

    Love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to comment. I love to hear from my readers!