Swamp Four Seasons

Swamp Four Seasons
Blessed by the beauty of Creation -
Sharing what I see from my little place in His world!

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Ruby the Forager


Though Ruby is not like all dogs, she does have something in common with most... she likes to eat.  In particular, Ruby loves berries and beans. On our walk this morning, I knew Ruby would be on the lookout for some she could pick.  Yes, she picks them herself!

There are lots of things Ruby does not see while we are walking.  Like the bobolinks that flew out of the long grass or the orchids blooming within it.
Ragged Fringed Orchis, a native orchid, which I only saw for the first time myself this year in the hayfields.  
 So I didn't expect Ruby to see them.

But when we got to where the wild blackberries grow, I knew she would be more interested.  We had both picked some berries and eaten them at this spot last week.
No ripe ones now, too bad.
Not in this spot either. Even though Ruby hunted for awhile, she didn't find any.  Maybe a bear or some birds got to them before she did.

She didn't notice any of the many butterflies that were all around.  They aren't good food for basset hounds.
She did notice this poplar leaf though, because I tapped my foot by it (the sign that there's food on the floor for her to eat)!
Even though my tapping got her to come check it out, she knew that was not good to eat, and not something we really want to see either!  Let's have summer awhile longer.

So far, Ruby has struck out on her foraging.  We head back to the house, where I know there are some beans ready for her--  Scarlet runner beans I grow because they are pretty, and because the Ruby-throated Hummingbirds like the flowers... and because Ruby likes the beans.
First we come to the ones on the vegetable garden fence.  Ruby investigates carefully, but she doesn't find any beans.  She may or may not have picked a flower (she says it was an accident).
Then we go to the plants on our deck, which I started earlier in pots in the spring, so they already have some large beans on them.
But Ruby has given up.  She is hot and tired and needs a drink. 
 So I pick one for her...
It's her reward for being a good girl on our walk.
Then we got a drink, and now she is taking a nap! Maybe she'll have better luck foraging next week.


2 comments:

  1. I love it, that last picture is so Ruby - CHOMP! :) She does love her fruits and veggies...or anything she can eat. I'm a little surprised she didn't at least try to eat the leaf when you tapped your foot! She's very worn out tonight, she's been asleep since about two minutes after we got home. :)

    Love,
    Laura

    P.S. - I like the new pictures on the top with the swamp in all four seasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, Thanks, as always, for your comment. Hope Ruby has caught up on her napping by now... we did have a busy day! Glad you noticed the new photos at the top, too.

      Love,
      Mom

      Delete

Thanks for taking time to comment. I love to hear from my readers!