Swamp Four Seasons

Swamp Four Seasons
Blessed by the beauty of Creation -
Sharing what I see from my little place in His world!

Monday, July 13, 2015

Heron vs. Osprey - "Inside Out" Style

Have you seen "Inside Out" the new Disney Pixar movie?  My husband and I saw it recently, and while I was mulling over how to write about the Heron vs. Osprey incident that took place in our swamp yesterday, "Inside Out" was still in the back of my mind.  If you haven't seen the movie, it is a comical look inside a young girl's brain; focusing on her emotions of joy, sadness, anger, fear, and disgust.  In the credits at the end, glimpses inside a dog and a cat's brains are shown, too. (Which was one of the best parts of the movie by the way, and the movie was very good!).  

I suppose that is what got me thinking about what we might see if we could look into the brains of  the following 'characters'.  

First, let me introduce them to you, in order of their appearance.  There was an osprey-- a large hawk with long legs and strong talons which it uses to catch fish.  There was comic relief in the form of a red-winged blackbird.  The final character was a great-blue heron.  Oh, and me... watching the whole thing-- and I can, for sure, tell you what the 'little voices' inside my head were saying! 

Me:  Wow, what a gorgeous bird, I'm so glad to see it
Me:  Well, this is nice but not very exciting.  I'll watch a little longer anyway.
Osprey: I feel I should turn around.  My neck is starting to hurt.

Me:  Okay, that's better, at least he moved.
 Osprey:  I know that lady is watching me, but I don't care.


RWBL: Sneak attack!  Hee heee....

Osprey:  Did I just feel something?  Oh well, no bother.

RWBL: What?  What just happened, did I really just bounce off an osprey?
Me:  I need to change my camera settings for action shots.  Maybe the blackbird will be back.

(Settings changed... just in the nick of time!)
Heron:  This is my swamp!  My tree! And MY FISHING SPOT!


Osprey:  But, but, ummm... but, I wasn't doing anything!



Heron:  Doesn't matter, I want you to GO!


Me: Oh my!  That heron is almost hovering like a hummingbird!  This is crazy!

Osprey:  I think it's time to get out of here.


Heron: Yes, GO!


Me: I can't believe I just saw that! 

Heron: Pssht!  I showed that osprey what's what.
But wait....
Osprey:  That perch is worth another try.  Wonder if the heron was really serious?

Heron: You betcha!
 Once again, peace (and the 'King' Heron) reigned over the swamp.
Heron:  Satisfaction, a job well done... time to get back to fishing.
Me: I can't believe I saw that, and I hope the photos turn out! 
The whole episode took slightly over 6 minutes, with a couple of those minutes consumed by the heron just sitting on top of the tree. 

I apologize to the serious ornithologists out there who may be offended by my anthropomorphic commentary.  But, if anyone from Pixar sees this and wants to purchase the rights to the story, I think it could be made into a great 'short'!  

*wink wink*



2 comments:

  1. Ha, I love it! What a funny thing to have seen. And you forgot "fear" from the movie...though it appears all of the birds involved were rather fearless! ;)

    Love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, I knew I should have looked up the emotions from the movie... thanks for reminding me! (I edited it to include "fear"). You are right, though, I don't think any of the birds were fearful.

      Love,
      Mom

      Delete

Thanks for taking time to comment. I love to hear from my readers!