Swamp Four Seasons

Swamp Four Seasons
Blessed by the beauty of Creation -
Sharing what I see from my little place in His world!

Friday, June 28, 2013

Dr. Ruby and the Rain

Ruby and I were poking along on our walk yesterday.  It was hot and humid, and there were a lot of things to sniff out, so we weren't in a hurry-- at least in the beginning.

 Most of the time, Ruby stays on the path, but sometimes she just can't resist following a scent thru the taller grass.  She can't SEE much, but the smells are enticing I guess!
Ox-Eye Daisies are very pretty, and we'll forgive them for not being native.  Mrs. William Starr Dana wrote in her book, 'How to Know the Wildflowers', first published in 1893, that the name Daisy came from the true daisy of England (Bellis perennis).  Its flowers opened in the morning and closed at night so it was called the "day's eye".  Our Ox-Eye Daisy is actually in the Chrysanthemum family and doesn't open and close with the sun... but I still like the name "Day's Eye".   Mrs. Dana gives another common name... she says in Scotland they are called "Dog-Daisy".  Ruby likes that one!

Ruby is a good girl and knows "Please don't eat the Daisies", however she does like her veggies, so she chews on some grass.
 Like I said, it's hot, so Ruby and I head towards home and to the little creek.
She cools off (at least her feet and the bottoms of her ears)!
Then I tell her we'd better head back to the house because there are storm clouds coming.
We barely get inside before the wind picks up and the rain starts.
It gets darker and darker.
"I don't mind, I'm ready for a nap anyway!"
But what do the other animals do in the rain?

The red-winged blackbirds don't seem to mind it, and they keep coming to eat sunflower seeds... although they do have to stop and shake every once and awhile!
This poor male oriole sits and waits for me to refill the grape jelly feeder.  I will as soon as the rain lets up a little!

Not yet!
This oriole eats from the orange in the rain...
It, too, gives a shake every little bit.
Finally the rain lets up and I go out and put some jelly in the feeder.  The birds quickly line up to eat, looking rather damp.

Rose-breasted Grosbeak
This morning, there are almost 3 1/2 inches of rain in our gauge.
The little creek is gushing.  I don't think Ruby would like it today.
This morning the swamp is filling up with brown run-off.
But through the rain and the mud, the animals keep on with life... the baby wood ducks are getting bigger.
The bunnies are, too.  This one better be careful though.  The puddles in the road are not a good place to play!
Good, little bunny.... run away!


1 comment:

Thanks for taking time to comment. I love to hear from my readers!