Swamp Four Seasons

Swamp Four Seasons
Blessed by the beauty of Creation -
Sharing what I see from my little place in His world!

Monday, July 1, 2013

An Enchanting Plant and Place

"Though little known by most gardeners, this plant is beloved by those who grow it" is the way Bebe Miles began her description of Twinleaf in her book, 'Wildflower Perennials for Your Garden'.  Indeed, you've surely heard of Thomas Jefferson, but you may have never heard of this name-sake of his-- Jeffersonia diphylla.  This neat little plant was given this scientific name during Jefferson's lifetime, in 1787 in Philadelphia.
You may not know it, partly because it's quite unassuming when it is in bloom.  You are likely to miss it, unless you look closely....
It really comes into its glory later-- in the early summer, when its leaves, which resemble butterflies, are lovely (especially after a rain!)
 One of the most unique things about it are its seedpods.
They have a hinged cover that pops open once the seeds are ripe.  As the capsule dries it shrinks and forces the seeds to pop out.  This one is just starting to open:
The next one is fully open and its seeds have already dispersed. 
I think they are awfully cute... a term I don't say often about plants!
 If you'd like to learn more about growing native perennials in your garden, Bebe Miles' book that I mentioned above would be a great place to start.  
 Another way is to take a trip to the enchanting place I mentioned in my title.  That place is Bowman's Hill Wildflower Preserve, located in southeastern Pennsylvania. 
Do you recognize the plant on their logo?  That's right, it's Twinleaf!  

Bowman's Hill Wildflower Preserve is a wonderful place to visit to see native wildflowers anytime between February (when the Skunk Cabbage start blooming!) and October (see Witch-hazel flowers then!).  Of course, the best time is when the spring woodland wildflowers are blooming, but in the summer the meadow is in beautiful bloom.  Here's a link to their "What's In Bloom Page".

They also have a great giftshop (appropriately called the Twinleaf Shop) with lots of nature-related books and gifts, and even native plants raised in their own nursery. 

If you visit on a hot day, after a walk on the trails you can visit the Platt Collection of birds, eggs, and nests in the downstairs level of the nature center to cool off.  On the main floor, in the auditorium there are lots of live birds to see from the windows , too!

It's really well worth a visit to Bowman's Hill.  I grew up within sight of the Bowman's Hill Tower and wish I could get back to visit more often.  I think I'm going to plan a visit soon! I hope you will, too!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to comment. I love to hear from my readers!