Swamp Four Seasons

Swamp Four Seasons
Blessed by the beauty of Creation -
Sharing what I see from my little place in His world!

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Our Giving Tree

When I first starting thinking about this blog post, I thought the story was going to be about white-tailed deer.
Specifically, about the white-tailed deer which have been eating breakfast, lunch, and dinner in our yard lately (and most likely some mid-night snacks!)
Doe eating apples for breakfast
Young buck eating lunch
The more I thought about it though, I decided the story really should be about what is drawing them to this spot... the apple tree.

It's been here 'forever' as far as I'm concerned.   Thirty-six years -- the number of years I've been living in this beautiful spot, and who knows how many years before that.  Maybe it grew from a seed from an apple that someone who lived in the long-gone farmhouse tossed there.

Over those years, our apple tree's strength has held up a hammock for our family; and its shade made it a comfortable spot to spend a relaxing afternoon.
Ruby even enjoyed it back in her pup days before she became a Phd.  If you missed the story about Ruby's Phd, you can click here.
My girls enjoyed swinging in the hammock as kids and still did after they grew into adults!


Even though it didn't even get to be in the photos with the hammock it supported, it has been a backdrop for many family photos over the years.
Including this one that was taken of me in a snowstorm to send to our Compassion kids in the tropics. I wanted to show them what snow looks like, how we dress for it, and the snowshoes I wear to go for a walk when it gets deep!
Our apple tree has provided shelter for birds and their nests in spring, as well as a stop-over on their way to our feeders in winter.
Male and female cardinals
 I don't have any idea how many containers of applesauce I've made over the years from its early yellow-transparent type apples.  And, apple pies....  delicious!  (one is sitting on my kitchen counter right now - the second one I've made recently, because my husband and I ate the first one in less than 24 hours!) 
The apple tree has survived many storms, including the one in September 2010 that knocked many leaves off but didn't bring any of its limbs down.
Yes, that's hail on the ground with all the leaves it tore off the trees!
 Which is pretty amazing, really, because even though on this side its trunk looks fine...
 the back side of it reveals a different situation:
 A look directly down shows how hollow it is!
That apple fell in there all by itself!
Shel Silverstein's children's book, 'The Giving Tree' always makes me cry and I have a feeling that someday, if our giving tree topples over, I might shed a few tears as well.  Meanwhile, I'll be thankful for it and enjoy the things it provides.  I think, so will the deer!
"These apples are the BEST!" (talking with his mouth full!)
 

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post Mom! It certainly has been a giving tree, I have many good memories of spending time around it. In fact, I can't imagine a better place to grow up in general than your house and all the beautiful land around it. :)

    Love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to comment. I love to hear from my readers!