Swamp Four Seasons

Swamp Four Seasons
Blessed by the beauty of Creation -
Sharing what I see from my little place in His world!

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Don't Overlook the Umbrellas

Mayapples are a very common plant around here. That doesn't mean they are boring though - they are interesting plants that deserve our attention.  Ruby agrees with me, so we will show you some things about Mayapple plants.
Ruby with Mayapples
Their foliage starts out like this toward the end of April here in Pennsylvania...
 and it slowly unfurls.
At this stage they really look like umbrellas opening up.
Mayapples are usually found in colonies, which grow from thick underground rhizomes.

By early May, the leaves are full-size and the flower bud is present.
 Each plant produces only one flower -- a lovely, waxy, white flower about 1 1/2" in diameter. Unless you look under the leaves you won't see it.  It's a hidden treasure!
This one is a little past its' prime (I was quite busy during that time and didn't get around to photographing them when I should have!)
After the flower, comes the part of the plant that gives it its' common name, Mayapple -- the apple-like fruit.
It really does look like an apple!
This apple was on a wild apple tree right above the Mayapple.  

As the spring turns into summer, Mayapple leaves start to loose some of their freshness.  They can get a rust fungus aptly called 'Mayapple rust' that causes them to become spotty!
 The underside of the leaf (on the left) has the brown rust spores which cause the yellow spots on the tops of the leaves (on right).
Various creatures chew on the Mayapple leaves and falling leaves from trees above them can start to collect on top!
Meanwhile, underneath the fruit is ripening.
While the rest of the plant is poisonous, the fruit is edible in small amounts.  After I photographed this one, I decided not to let it go to waste.  No, I didn't eat it myself.  I put it out for the chipmunks.  My 'Mammals of Pennsylvania' book lists it as one of the many foods chipmunks will eat.
However, it must be way down the list of things they prefer to eat... such as sunflower seeds!
"No thanks, I'll stuff my cheeks with the seeds instead!"
A couple of hours after I put it out, the Mayapple is still there.
Ruby wants to add one final note about Mayapples.  They are the perfect size for a basset hound to enjoy a little shade!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to comment. I love to hear from my readers!