Swamp Four Seasons

Swamp Four Seasons
Blessed by the beauty of Creation -
Sharing what I see from my little place in His world!

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

One more trip to the grocery store?

Are you making one more trip to the grocery store to buy something you need for Thanksgiving dinner?  

Our chipmunks have been filling their pantry, too - but they have been making lots of trips -- to get only one item though-- sunflower seeds!  They aren't getting ready for one special meal either.  They are stocking up for the whole winter (and trying to get it done ahead of the storms, just like us people!)

"I don't need milk and bread - or turkey for that matter! These sunflower seeds will do for me!"
I had a lot of fun watching our two chipmunks one day recently.  I think they knew what kind of weather was coming, without listening to the forecast!  They were busy as could be all morning!

Now, I say two chipmunks, because one is our 'woods chipmunk' and one is our 'well chipmunk'.  There could be more (and probably are!) but I've only seen two at a time.  One from the woods, one from the well.
The 'well' chipmunk doesn't have far to go for groceries.  It lives in the pile of stones that covers our well casing.   He or she goes in and out where the blue arrow is pointing.

The woods chipmunk has farther to go and so I think is in much better cardio-vascular health.  Watch it run to the food in this video!



Sometimes, it comes so fast that it has an encounter with the 'well chipmunk'!  Sort of like crashing grocery carts at the market!
"Hey, watch it there!"
Mostly they get along.... at least, they seem to, since they are both so busy filling up their carts... I mean, cheeks!
Usually, one shops on the upper level of the 'store' and one down, but sometimes they share the upper spot (and they will share with the birds!)
Then, cheeks full, they will head back to their pantries to unload.

Here goes the woods chipmunk - and she did this over and over again that morning!



The woods chipmunk even came after we had some snow...

"I use more energy running, so I'm still storing up!"
But, now that the snow and cold have really started, I haven't seen either chippy.  Guess they are having a nap for Thanksgiving.... how about you?  Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to comment. I love to hear from my readers!