Swamp Four Seasons

Swamp Four Seasons
Blessed by the beauty of Creation -
Sharing what I see from my little place in His world!

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Winter Gardening

A major winter storm is forecast for our area.  They are predicting lots of snow.  So, of course, there are things to do to prepare!  Stock up on milk and bread.... beat the storm!  I was racing to beat the storm this afternoon, too.  But I was not at the store, I was out in the woods, collecting moss.  That's right, moss!

Remember when we had a couple of 45 degree days back in January?  As I was walking in our woods on one of those days, I was admiring the beautiful green mosses.  I thought it would be nice to make a terrarium but I didn't have a good container.  Well, today while I was shopping, I found one. 

Collecting moss and a few other things this afternoon for my 'winter garden' was slightly challenging.  It's really easier to make one when the ground is not frozen!  
But I was able to brush aside the snow to get some partridgeberry and club moss.
Normally I would dig up small plants for a terrarium, but since the ground was frozen, I decided to improvise and clip off a few things.  I snipped the club moss and some hemlock sprigs with scissors.  I also grabbed some small rocks and pieces of wood.
This photo shows all the things I used -- my container, some gravel, soil-less potting mix, charcoal, and all the things I had collected from the woods.  Oh, and a tiny plastic deer!

I started with about an inch of gravel for drainage, and a few small pieces of charcoal to keep it smelling sweet.
Then some 'soil' which I mounded a bit in the center.  The moss came next, lightly pressed on the soil.

I added some rocks and stuck the club moss stems and a piece of hemlock down in the soil, and then put my little deer in place.
Now I feel like I'm ready for the snowstorm!  I have my own tiny green woods to enjoy while the snow flies outside.
I'm happy with how it turned out.  It will definitely help me get thru the rest of winter!











3 comments:

  1. Very nice! I was just reading about making these in a magazine the other day. I really like how yours came out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice Nancy. I made one years ago. It gives me the urge to make one again, but I think I will have to wait until the snow melts now. :-)
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Mom, it's beautiful! I love how the red partridgeberries stand out and your little deer is perfect. Now you just need some snow in there. ;) I have no clue where I'd put one in my house so Ruby couldn't eat it, but I would love it if you could help me make one sometime. :)

    Love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to comment. I love to hear from my readers!