Swamp Four Seasons

Swamp Four Seasons
Blessed by the beauty of Creation -
Sharing what I see from my little place in His world!

Sunday, June 22, 2014

New babies, new book

When I wrote last, I told you about the bluebird babies in our nest box #2.  Then I was away for almost a week.  This is the photo I took of the babies just before I left:
June 14th
As soon as I got home, I checked the box and it was empty.  The male and female bluebirds are still hanging around our yard, in fact they have been checking out a different house, but I have not seen the juveniles.  I'm hoping for the best, but usually the parents feed the young for about 3 weeks after they leave the nest, so I'm afraid something might have happened to them.  But we can hope they made it and are around somewhere.  Perhaps the parents will have a second brood.
Bluebirds on June 21st checking out Box #1
And there are other babies close by!  House wrens are busy feeding their brood in a nest box under our big hemlock tree.  
Both the male and female wrens feed the babies (at least after the first few days... in the beginning for about 3 days after they hatch, the father brings food to the mother and she gives it to the babies).  It's impossible to tell the parents apart from their appearance, but if you see it sing, then you'll know it's the male.
Singing a little song for the babies!
They are making many, many trips to bring food to their young ones.
Pausing for a little break before delivering baby food.
That's quite a mouthful... and after checking me out, in to the babies it goes.
Besides taking food in, the adults have the job of bringing out the fecal sacs.  Keeping the nest clean is important, too.
Every time a parent brings food, loud chirping erupts from the box!  So cute.  I hope I'm around to see them leave their home.  The chicks are supposed to stay in the nest for about 3 weeks.  Of course, I don't know what day they hatched, so it will be a lucky guess to be watching when they are ready to fly.  Like many birds, after they leave the nest, they'll be fed and taught to catch their own meals by their parents until they are ready to go it alone.  So maybe I'll see them in our little woods, or maybe the parents will take them to a safer spot up in the big woods.  

Being away meant I missed the bluebirds fledging, but I came home to more baby birds and while I was away I bought myself a great souvenir-- a new bird book.  
 It's a kids book, but I couldn't resist buying it for myself.  It's full of beautiful photos and lots of great information.   For instance, here's the spread about House Wrens:
The author is Adele Porter and it's published by Adventure Publications.  Whether you are interested in learning more about birds yourself, or getting a child interested in birds, I would highly recommend it.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to comment. I love to hear from my readers!