Swamp Four Seasons

Swamp Four Seasons
Blessed by the beauty of Creation -
Sharing what I see from my little place in His world!

Saturday, April 26, 2014

Nesting News

It's been awhile since I've given you an update on the nesting situation here.  If you've been reading along, you may remember the bluebirds' dilemma over which box to choose.  They have several choices close by our house.  Three in the backyard, and others nearby, too.  Even though we give the birds numerous choices, they still compete for housing.
Box # 1 has been taken by the House Sparrows (also called English Sparrows).
That's the female on top of the box, and the male clinging onto the hole on the front.
They've already built a nest inside.  Here the female has something nice and soft to add:
The male looks rather noble in the next photo-- standing guard, but they are not known for their patrician disposition. They are more thought of as nasty aliens (which they are, since they were introduced to America from Europe in 1851) who take over nesting spots from our native bluebirds. 
They have already built their nest.
Nest box # 2 seemed to be the bluebirds favorite, until the tree swallows showed up.
But even which tree swallows will succeed in using it might be in question!
"Mine!"              "No, Mine!"
One pair decided briefly to investigate house # 3:
But I'm still hoping the bluebirds will use that one, and they seem to be keeping an eye on it.
even while the tree swallows are nearby.
In other locations, I have not seen the chickadees at the box they were looking over recently.  But I do know where there is a nest of another sort....
It took a trip by kayak to take a look.  Can you see where it is?
How about now?
I waited til the goose decided I was too close for comfort and swam off before scooting in quickly to get these shots:

In other nesting news, so far this year the great-blue herons have not been using the old heron nest.  But an osprey stopped by on April 19th and sat there eating a fish.
I crept up as close as I could (on land) and he didn't seem to mind.  There was still a lot of water between him and me that day.
It's fun to see the heron nest from the kayak, too... gives it a different perspective.

Too bad the heron nest isn't going to have babies in it this year, but the old tree is still good for lots of birds to perch on. I guess getting old isn't all bad!
This old tree gets to have herons, red-winged blackbirds, tree swallows, kingfishers, an occasional osprey and bald eagle for company.  Sometimes even a strange lady in a blue kayak!













No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to comment. I love to hear from my readers!