Swamp Four Seasons

Swamp Four Seasons
Blessed by the beauty of Creation -
Sharing what I see from my little place in His world!

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

How many Herons???

In my last post, I said it would be nice to have another 'Heron Summer' like the one we had two years ago.  Well, yesterday we had kind of a 'Heron Winter'.  I know it's not technically winter according to the calendar (and this is not an April Fool's joke!).  But our area had a winter storm on Sunday afternoon and night.  Some areas in our county got almost a foot of snow.  Luckily, we only got a couple of inches at our house.  Not sure if the weather had anything to do with it, but that night we had herons.  How many herons, you ask?  See how many you can pick out in this photo:
This is a close up of a few of them so you can see what you are looking for:
For quite awhile in the morning, they stayed like that.  Huddled up, trying to keep warm!

But after awhile, the temperature warmed up and it was time to go fishing.
Herons don't always stay perfectly still to fish....
This one was stalking his prey.
Gotcha!
Down it goes!
It was a great heron-watching day!  They were fishing, flying, and besides herons there were Mallards...  
and lots of Wood Ducks.
I counted 12 Wood Ducks altogether (though there aren't that many in this photo).

Speaking of how many.... how many herons did you find in my second photo?  It was easier to count them watching them in person with the binoculars, but here's a photo with each of them circled:
Yep, that would be NINE!  I'm hoping some of them will stay and nest in our swamp again.  


4 comments:

  1. Well, I thought my eyes were deceiving me, but I did count nine. What a treat!! Hopefully some decide to stay. Nice to see on a wintery spring day :-) Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must need my eyes checked. I only counted seven in the first "uncircled" photo. I always enjoy your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary, maybe it's time for glasses... no, only kidding, a couple of them are pretty hard to see. But it's the same photo at the end with them circled, so you should be able to go back and pick them out.

      Delete

Thanks for taking time to comment. I love to hear from my readers!