Swamp Four Seasons

Swamp Four Seasons
Blessed by the beauty of Creation -
Sharing what I see from my little place in His world!

Monday, June 9, 2014

Two Crying Ducklings

This is a tale of two ducklings.  Both crying, but for different reasons!

Early one morning, I set out to visit one of my favorite places - a place where there is a sort-of comfortable stump to sit on with a good view of the swamp.  I don't think I've ever found a completely comfortable stump but this one isn't bad and besides that, it's the view that really counts.  I had barely settled in when I heard a cry.  A poor little mallard duckling had lost her mama.
In just a few moments, the crying baby was happy to be reunited with her.
Soon they were swimming off together with the rest of the family.
Meanwhile, I sat quietly... waiting to see what might happen next.  I didn't have long to wait before I spied another family.  At first they were a long ways off, but they were headed my direction.
Mama wood duck was crossing the open water with her large brood of ducklings, but she was keeping them close - all without making a sound.
Once they reached the edge of the swamp, where they were more concealed in the vegetation, they all began to eat.
While they were busy eating, they continued getting closer and closer to me.
Mama kept close watch over her children, while she also took time now and then to eat something.
What a busy mother... with 10 ducklings!
At one point in their journey along the edge of the swamp, they had to crossed over a log.  It was funny to see the babies follow right along doing what their mother was doing.
Eventually all 10 were on the other side.
What a good mother!
They were really close to me now -- I'd say about 20 feet away.  It actually became hard to photograph them because of the low vegetation between them and me.  I slowly stood up, but they still didn't notice me.  They were mostly concentrating on breakfast, I guess, and not expecting anyone to be there.
The early morning sun was now hitting the water and making all the algae sparkle.  I like this photo even though it's not the best of the ducks, because it has a rather dreamy look.  It was a little dreamy to have this close up encounter with this wood duck family!  I knew it was going to end at some point, but I was enjoying every moment.

Finally the end did come.... when one of the little ducklings noticed me and set off an alarm!
I was amazed at how quickly they all disappeared!

I looked at my watch and saw I had been privileged to watch this beautiful family for almost 20 minutes!  What a blessing!  I hope you've enjoyed seeing them, too.


1 comment:

  1. Haha, too cute! I especially like the last photo. That little guy was definitely letting himself be heard! Thanks for sharing, it must have been so fun to watch them! :)

    Love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to comment. I love to hear from my readers!