Swamp Four Seasons

Swamp Four Seasons
Blessed by the beauty of Creation -
Sharing what I see from my little place in His world!

Saturday, November 15, 2014

November.... Blah, blah... ah ha!

Hi there dear reader,

How are you?  I have been fighting to not come down with a virus called the 'November blahs'!

First, I am banishing the line from an old John Denver song that sometimes runs thru my mind, "So you speak to me of sadness and the coming of the winter..."  Yep, that's not very uplifting.  Switch that to, 

"Great is thy faithfulness, oh God my father.... 

Summer and winter and springtime and harvest,
Sun, moon, and stars in their courses above;
Join with all nature in manifold witness,
To Thy great faithfulness, mercy, and love".


That's better.  

Things do slow down in the natural world this time of year.  It's easy for me to look at that as a sad thing.  I need to remember it's not sad, it's just different.   

When I was looking thru the photos I've taken-- starting November 1st, I realized there are still wonderful things happening in my Father's world.  What's happening, you ask?  

Well, there are birds, of course.  Not as many as in the warmer months, but lots of them are coming to my feeders.  Chickadees, woodpeckers, finches, titmice....

I'm still trying to get a good photo of a tufted titmouse.  They are so bouncy and constantly on the move that while it is fun to watch them, they're a challenge to photograph.  Even though there are lots of them right outside my kitchen window, I wasn't really happy with any of the numerous photos I had taken.
I started thinking they are one of those birds that you have to watch in action to see their full cuteness!
Then one did this while I was snapping his picture:
Cute!  (He was scratching an itch, not laying down to go to sleep.)
Next on my November list of wonderful happenings is another thing I see right outside my kitchen window.  That is watching the red-bellied woodpeckers defy the 'large-birds-cannot-eat from-this-feeder-rule'.


It's no problem for a smart bird like him.  The next two photos are from a different day (did you notice it was raining in the last 3?)  After he takes a seed from the feeder he flies over to the apple tree to eat it.  
See the seed in his bill?  Now, in the next photo, you can see his tongue.  Woodpeckers have pretty amazing tongues.  (but that's not what this post is about, so if you want to read about them, click here).
Okay, dear reader, I changed my mind.  I have to show you another photo of the red-belly's tongue, even though it was taken October 28th and I was only going to use photos from November.  Hey, it's my blog and I can do what I want, right?  Thank you.
Alright.  The next thing that happened in November (getting back on track) was that it snowed.  Yay!  It is so pretty.  Well, definitely prettier than a gray, rainy day, right?  We're trying to think positive here!

 The mourning doves didn't seem to mind.
So why should we?

I can see lots of things from my windows, but not this:
He made it worth going for a walk on the cold morning of November 8th.  He and I watched each other for awhile!
He may not have a trophy rack, but he was gorgeous to my eyes.  (I only 'hunt' with my camera.)

It's a little harder for me to get motivated to go out for a walk this time of year, I admit.  But I still try to, no matter the weather.  The doggies in my life enjoy it, so why not me?  
Although, some days I think Ruby would just as soon watch out the window!
And I have to admit, that often, the most activity this time of year seems to be happening right outside the windows.  

The following photos were all taken from our bedroom window.  It had snowed overnight, and the next morning our little flock of bluebirds appeared about 8 a.m.  So, it was not very light out yet... hence some of the photos are not the best-- but I enjoyed watching them so much I thought you, my readers might enjoy them, too!  

First, a bluebird finding a magnolia berry (seed?) on the ground to eat.
Then, the siblings... I think, being curious about their first snow (the three that fledged from a nearby box this summer)? That's what I think anyway.  


Perhaps one of them is going to be cranky in the winter time?
Too bad I can't invite him to come into my sunroom for a little while and enjoy the flowers on my geraniums.
Yes, that's snow outside the windows.  It's a very pretty way to set off the greenery, right?

I'm feeling more happy about November now, how about you?

Sincerely,
Nancy
PS - I am heading out now to see what other wonderful things I can see in November. 






 









2 comments:

  1. Well, I don't have too many problems with November. I hear the pleasant sound of wood being stacked in the basement and there are lots of things to do in December also. However my least favorite months are January and February. I'll be looking forward to seeing what you will be doing with THOSE bad boys. Thanks again for your blog, it always brightens my day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helen, Thanks for commenting. I agree, January and February can be tough. But, January 1st we get to start a new bird list, so that's fun. And they are closer to spring, which is probably the best thing about those months!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to comment. I love to hear from my readers!