Swamp Four Seasons

Swamp Four Seasons
Blessed by the beauty of Creation -
Sharing what I see from my little place in His world!

Sunday, May 1, 2016

Come with Me to the Pond!

We have baby geese!  
My husband told me there was a pair of Canada Geese up at the pond with babies.  So when I went for a walk yesterday morning, I was sure to sneak up there so as not to scare them!
They were in the grass on the right side of the pond when I arrived, but (sneaking up or not!) it didn't take long for the parents to shepherd their young'uns into the water.
I stood quietly and watched, and they soon got used to me being there.  
The parents had their job cut out for them looking after the 7 babies, because the babies seemed to go about their business without a care in the world (as little babies should).  
That's okay, because the adults keep their eyes on them at all time... good thing they have necks that allow them to turn their heads almost full circle!  And, there were two parents to wrangle them into line if needed.
It seems in every family, there is one child who stays very close to mommy...
...like the little one right under her.
The babies did a lot of pecking along the shore.
They also seemed to watch their parents.  The parents preened and the babies watched (well, some of them).
Hey, everyone, pay attention!
They got in and out of the water a few times.
Mama ate... and the babies watched. 
"You mean we're going to have to stick our heads underwater like that someday?"
Finally, for some reason, the one I think was Papa decided they should all get out of the water and go up in the grass.
So I decided to leave them and go check out the Marsh Marigolds.  Sure enough, they were blooming nicely in the thicket up above the pond.
In the trees above the Marsh Marigolds, there was a flock of Yellow-rumped Warblers! 
 How I love this time of year.... geese babies, wildflowers, and warblers! 













1 comment:

  1. Wow, that top picture is just crying out to be part of a picture book!! I love the baby right under its mom too...so sweet. :)

    Love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to comment. I love to hear from my readers!