Swamp Four Seasons

Swamp Four Seasons
Blessed by the beauty of Creation -
Sharing what I see from my little place in His world!

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Ten Days in Trinidad and Tobago

The islands of Trinidad and Tobago are a birder's paradise located off the northern coast of South America .  Recently, my husband and I were very blessed to spend 10 days there.  Whether the sun was shining or rain was falling, we enjoyed all the amazing and beautiful things we saw.  While I usually write about the beauty of nature here at home, I have too many photos from Trinidad and Tobago not to share some of them with you! So, once again "This Is My Father's World" is going on a 'field trip'. (Other trips have included Colombia, Florida, and Texas).

For this post, at first I thought I'd only pick a few photos... to let you know why I haven't posted in the last 2 weeks-- but I couldn't choose just a couple!  Instead, I'm going to share a number of my favorites to get us started on our 'trip', then I'll post more about the birds, flowers, turtles, monkeys, and scenery as I have time.  I hope you enjoy the 'trip', and 'stay tuned' for more.
A male Tufted Coquette perched during a rain shower.  He's only 2  3/4" long!
A male Black-throated Mango in the sunshine
A White-necked Jacobin taking a bath in the rain
A Ruby-topaz Hummingbird fluffing his feathers in the sun
Those are 4 of the 12 kinds of hummingbirds we saw in Trinidad and Tobago!  There are 18 kinds listed in my T & T species checklist.
A BUNCH of Bananaquits (also known locally as Sugar Bird) at a feeder at Asa Wright Nature Centre!
A Bay-headed Tanager eating a berry in the pouring rain.  (Luckily, we were on the veranda!)
This Hibiscus flower looked especially beautiful when the sun came out after a brief shower.
While we went mainly for birds, it sure was fun to watch a family of White-fronted Capuchins in the rain forest.
The hanging Crested Oropendola nests add an intriguing touch to the silhouette of this tree.
In the opposite extreme of nest types, a Laughing Gull hatches from a very basic one on the ground. 
We also had the amazing experience of watching this 600+ pound Leatherback Turtle lay her eggs on the beach one night.
We didn't have to go out at night to see this Ferruginous Pygmy Owl.  While they are more active at night, they can also be seen and heard during the day.
A juvenile Masked Cardinal was pecking the top of a shiny car mirror.  He put on quite a show, though I felt a little sorry for all the energy he was expending trying to chase away the 'other' cardinal. 
A 'famous' Trinidad Motmot.... on the island of Tobago, where they are actually more common than on Trinidad.
And, finally (for now) two wild Flamingos we saw while watching Scarlet Ibis come in to roost at Caroni Swamp.  Seeing them seemed almost surreal!  I mean, we're used to seeing plastic ones in yards or live ones at the zoo, but out in an actual swamp? Incredible!

4 comments:

  1. Wondered where you were. Welcome back thanks for the post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, Thanks for your comment and the 'welcome back'.
      Nancy

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing the pictures! They are great and the birds are so beautiful! Looking at the Motmot, I wonder if it is related to one of my favorite PNG birds, the Rainbow Bee-eater? It looks similar to me (shape of beak, long tail, etc.) Thanks for sharing and I look forward to more T&T pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sara, Thanks and I'm glad you enjoyed the photos. When I saw the Motmots, I remembered the Rainbow Bee-eaters I saw when I visited you in PNG. They sure do look similar in many ways. The Motmot is Motmotus bahamensis, and the Bee-eater is Merops ornatus, so it doesn't seem that they are related, at least not too closely.

      Delete

Thanks for taking time to comment. I love to hear from my readers!