Swamp Four Seasons

Swamp Four Seasons
Blessed by the beauty of Creation -
Sharing what I see from my little place in His world!

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

And Baby Makes Three? Or Four?

Hurrah!  Just a little while ago, Rhett and Scarlett brought a baby to the bird feeding area outside our kitchen window!  (If you don't know what I'm talking about, click here to read the story first).

Last evening, I was out for awhile and when I got home, my husband said the Cardinals had been at the feeder and had a baby with them.  So, today, I watched for them whenever I was near the window.  Off and on, I saw the adult Cardinals, but no baby.  However, I know that Cardinals often feed quite late in the day.  I kept watching even as it was getting dark.  My patience was rewarded!

7:10 pm
Above is Scarlett at the sunflower seed feeder.  Then came Rhett.
Those two photos show you how it really was getting dark.  The next group of photo have been lightened quite a bit.

The first one shows the mother with her reddish-orange bill.  The baby is below and behind her.
You can tell an immature Cardinal from a female by its dark gray bill.
These are the best pictures I got of the baby:

In this shot, you can see its gray bill pretty well.
And, finally, the only shot I got of the three of them together:
My husband thinks there could be another immature Cardinal, because the one he saw last night didn't seem to have much of a tail, while the one I saw does.  

I'll be keeping my eye out for all of them!




1 comment:

  1. Yay, what perfect timing! I hope you'll have more encounters with the babies. :)

    Love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to comment. I love to hear from my readers!