Swamp Four Seasons

Swamp Four Seasons
Blessed by the beauty of Creation -
Sharing what I see from my little place in His world!

Monday, May 6, 2013

Ready for the Ruby-throats!

Ready for the Ruby-throated Hummingbirds, that is! 
Ruby, Phd, and I got the window feeder up on the kitchen window on Saturday.  That was one reason why I wanted to get the windows washed!

Dates for our hummingbirds to arrive back (or at least, the first date we’ve seen them) are anywhere from May 4th to May 13th, according to my records.  So I knew I really needed to get ready!  Here's a link to a hummingbird migration map for 2013, showing the dates they arrive in various locations.

I put up two feeders and I try to provide flowers they like.  This feeder is one I used to use, but it was hard to clean. 

 I switched to this smaller one, which is very easy to keep clean and has a bee guard.
Last year for Mother’s Day, I received this wonderful gift - a feeder that goes right on the window!
On Saturday I mixed up a batch of sugar-water, according to Julie Zickefoose’s directions.  Julie came up with a great way to make food for the hummies (and she also has a wonderful blog she co-writes with her Boston Terrier, Chet Baker... you should check it out!).

Here's what to do:  Bring water to a boil and then add an equal amount of sugar, let it cool and store that in your fridge.  Then, when you need to fill your feeders, take out that concentrated liquid and add water to it to the ratio of 1:3 (or 1:4, depending on the time of the season - I do 1:3 to start with).  I boil 2 cups of water and add 2 cups of sugar to make mine, simply because that amount fits perfectly in my  jar.  When I’m ready to fill my feeders, I take a 2 cup measuring cup, put 1 cup of water in it, then add the concentrated sugar-water until it comes up to the 1 1/3 cup line.  The beauty of this method is that you have a smaller amount to keep in your fridge, but it goes a long way so you don’t have to boil water and make it as often.  If you have larger feeders, you’ll probably want to do it in larger amounts.  But both of my feeders are small and I clean and refill them often, so this works for me.

Plus, smaller amounts are good this time of year -- when my refrigerator looks like this... full of stuff for the birds! Over-ripe bananas, grape jelly, and orange halves for the orioles (there is a full bag of oranges on the bottom shelf, too) and hummingbird nectar.


This morning I decided to finish getting ready for the hummies.  I carried their favorite geranium out of the sunroom and put it under their feeder.  I thought they might like the flowers on this kalanchoe, so I added it by the window feeder this year, too.

Geranium Vancouver Centennial and an orange-flowered Kalanchoe
Later in the summer, they will also have some of their other favorite flowers available to them.  These photos are from my back deck last summer:
The Cardinal Climber you see in those photos was a new plant for me last year.  It took a really long time to begin blooming, but once it did, the hummies absolutely loved it!
Another plant they love are the Scarlet Runner Beans I plant on my vegetable garden fence.  Apparently, I have not thought they are very photogenic though, because I don’t have any pictures of them!  The Ruby-throated Hummingbirds love them and so does Ruby, PhD... she loves to eat the beans!  She even picks them herself.  We don’t let her eat too many at a time, as I understand they can make you sick, at least if they are uncooked.  We don’t eat them, we just enjoy the flowers.

I did find an old photo from the year I had a light purple variety. 

 I was standing nearby taking photos of a hummingbird on the flowers, when it flew to a nearby Crab-apple tree and started drinking the sap from the holes a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker had made in the trunk earlier!

It was darting in and out to sip the sap coming out of the holes!
 If you would like some Cardinal Climber or Scarlet Runner Bean seeds, I have some I saved  from my garden last year. I would be happy to share, while my supply lasts.
Soon it will be time to take a handful of the pretty bean seeds outside and stick them in the soil by my garden fence!
Meanwhile, I think I’m ready for the return of the hummingbirds!  I even have some cobwebs available to help them with their nest-building!

1 comment:

  1. WOW! Wonderful pictures, especially the hummingbirds. Your property looks peaceful and beautiful. You sure have a gift for nature, in words, pictures and just making the time. Makes me relax just looking at the pictures :). Thanks for sharing. Happy Mother's Day to you too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to comment. I love to hear from my readers!