Swamp Four Seasons

Swamp Four Seasons
Blessed by the beauty of Creation -
Sharing what I see from my little place in His world!

Wednesday, December 23, 2015

My Christmas Gift to You

For nature bloggers, this week has not been ideal, at least in my neck of the woods.

This was the forecast on my weather widget earlier this week, and so far it's been pretty much on track.  I don't usually take my camera outside in the rain!  While today isn't super rainy (though it hasn't exactly been sunny either) this morning I have been working in my kitchen on our Christmas cheesecake, so today's post will be from the window (again) with inspiration from the cheesecake as well.
My Christmas gift number #1 to you will be showing you what happens here when I put a couple handfuls of corn out for the birds.  Gift number # 2 will be the best-ever, easy-to-make cheesecake recipe.  

If you still have someone on your Christmas list you don't know what to buy for, head to your local feed store (it's  probably not as crowded as the Mall) and pick up some shelled corn.  They can simply spread it in their lawn and be entertained by the birds.  No feeder necessary.
They can count how many kernels a Blue Jay can take at one time.
Or they can count how many Blue Jays come at the same time.
I only had 5 this morning.

Or they can see what happens when other birds dare to come while the Blue Jays are there. 

First, some brave Mourning Doves.
Then, a Red-winged Blackbird and a Red-bellied Woodpecker.
The Red-winged Blackbird isn't even supposed to be here (at least according to my field guide, it should be a 'summer only' bird) but we've had one or two stay all winter before.
The Red-bellied Woodpecker makes repeat trips to get more corn.  He's bold enough not to care what the Blue Jays think.
Oh, by the way, our lawn has that nice bare spot which is an ideal place for me to toss the corn, don't you think?  It's not far from where I put the mixed seed on the ground, so it tends to keep the Blue Jays away from the other feeders, at least for awhile.  It gives the other birds a chance to have a meal, without being bothered too much by the Jays.

Our Cardinals are still coming but they aren't as 'close' as they were when they were nesting.  In fact, some House Finches seem to have come between them.
The Blue Jays make quite a racket, too, while they snatch up the corn, which momentarily startled the Mourning Doves.
"What's up?  What's going on?"
I love their demur look and their pretty pink feet.  Also, don't miss that patch of iridescent pink on the throat.

Now, the cheesecake is out of the oven and it smells sooo good.  I've been making a cheesecake for Christmas for many years (it's a good birthday cake for Jesus) and I've shared the recipe with many people.  It's really the BEST cheesecake.  So, here is my Christmas gift to my blog readers--

Creamy Sour Cream Cheesecake

1 1/2 cups shortbread cookie crumbs
2 tablespoons butter, melted
3 8-ounce packages cream cheese, at room temperature
1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
4 eggs
8 ounces sour cream
1 tablespoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Combine cookie crumbs and melted butter.  Press firmly on the bottom of a 9" springform pan.
In large mixer bowl, beat cream cheese til fluffy.  Gradually beat in sweetened condensed milk until smooth.
Beat in eggs, sour cream, and vanilla.
Pour into prepared pan.
Bake 50 to 55 minutes until lightly browned around edge.
Cool, then store in refrigerator.  Serve with fruit topping and whipped creme, if desired.

It's simple to make and you can make it several days ahead (it only gets better!)

Hope you all have a Merry Christmas! 













2 comments:

  1. Yum, I'm looking forward to eating that cheesecake!

    I wonder who would win the prize for being able to stuff more in their mouths, the blue jays or the chipmunks? :)

    Love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, That's an interesting thought about the chipmunks and blue jays. I was actually thinking about chipmunks today, since it's been so warm it seems they might come out... but I haven't seen any. They are sleeping thru this warm spell, I guess!
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to comment. I love to hear from my readers!