Swamp Four Seasons

Swamp Four Seasons
Blessed by the beauty of Creation -
Sharing what I see from my little place in His world!

Saturday, December 19, 2015

From my Window and from Afield

I've been waiting for just the right day to present a new type of photography on my blog.  Today seemed promising for it -- some clouds, some sun, and possibly some snow showers.  
Hopefully, in that video you can see what it was like from my window today... every 10 minutes!  (Yes, I am now the owner of a time-lapse camera, which was a birthday present from my husband and daughter).  Don't miss the glimpse of a red truck, and hang in there until near the end when you can see the snow we got in the late afternoon, and our Christmas lights come on.  

Now, I also have some photos to share from my walk today.  After the spell of rather gloomy days we've been having, the sunshine this morning made me anxious to get outside even though it was cold.
I was definitely rewarded for bundling up and getting out there!  
The blue sky and the snow-covered ice were so pretty.
Do you recognize this spot?  It's the place where I took the four-season photos at the header of my blog.  One thing you probably have not noticed is that one of the trees is almost totally girdled at the bottom from beavers gnawing on it.  Here's one side...
and the other:
I think it will stand for a long time yet, but probably not actually live much longer.  Maybe it will have a hollow spot in it for a Wood Duck nest someday?

After walking along the swamp, I headed back toward our yard, where I heard a Bluebird singing.  Of course I had to try to locate it.  Here it is in our magnolia tree--
From there, I headed up the hill and took this photo of our place in silhouette.  It seems a surprise to me that the hemlock tree is not taller than the other trees... it always seems so imposing, as if it is huge in comparison.
I was watching for birds, as always, too.  I was happy to see this female House Finch eating some natural food (White Ash seeds).  There are so many finches this year that I'm glad that my sunflower seeds aren't all they are eating.
There are lots of seeds for the sparrow and juncos around the pond, too.
And the privet bushes are still covered with berries.
I think the Ruffed Grouse like them, because that's where I usually see (or, more often hear) the grouse.  There are grouse in here....
I know, because when I walk through there, 2 or 3 usually fly up.  I walked through very slowly and quietly today, hoping to get a photo of one.  No luck... maybe I was too quiet? 

The Black-capped Chickadees aren't shy about being seen.   They are just hard to photography because they don't stay still long.
This one was part of a small flock.  One bird in the group, however, was different... ah! A Golden-crowned Kinglet.  I didn't get a photo of it as it flitted around in the branches, but I enjoyed watching it with my binoculars.  

By this time, more clouds had rolled in.  There was only a little patch of blue in the sky...
It was time to head back to the nice, warm house and a cup of hot chocolate.
The sun did come out again after awhile (as you can see in the time-lapse movie), but we also got some snow.  I was glad to spend the rest of my day inside!








 

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos. I especially liked the one of the sky and clouds mirrored in the pond. the time lapse video was fun too. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, Thanks and Merry Christmas to you, too!

      Delete

Thanks for taking time to comment. I love to hear from my readers!