Swamp Four Seasons

Swamp Four Seasons
Blessed by the beauty of Creation -
Sharing what I see from my little place in His world!

Thursday, January 7, 2016

A New Year and some New Things

I am in the early stages of feeling like I want to go into hibernation, so I don't think I have many words for this post, but I do have photos to share.  

A week of 2016 is already 'history', which shows how time flies.  I will have to remember that throughout January and February when the dark days can seem awfully long.

This week has actually been pretty busy - with birds, animals, and more! 

The birds have been enjoying their Christmas presents.
Chickadees on homemade ornament feeder.

Mourning Dove on Christmas gift.

Goldfinch on new window feeder.
New Years Day means starting a new list of birds seen on our property.  Here are some highlights from the 2016 list so far:
Eastern Bluebird on January 2nd.
Pileated Woodpecker also on January 2nd.
A chilly looking Red-winged Blackbird on January 5th.
This Pine Siskin was the most recent addition, #23 on January 6th.
An update on the Canada Goose who was featured in this post, as of yesterday, it was still okay.
The swamp is mostly covered with ice now, thanks to the extremely cold temperatures of recent days.  I have been putting some corn out for the goose.   I think that crows may sometimes get the corn first, but hopefully the goose gets some, too.

The goose is pretty well camouflaged.  See if you can find it in the middle of the next photo.
Now for the animals that I mentioned.  With the colder weather we've had some squirrels at the feeders, such as this Red Squirrel:
And this Grey Squirrel, keeping itself warm with its tail on a bitter cold day.
They were both eating under the bird table, but keeping an eye on each other!

 During the unusually warm weather we had, I wondered if a chipmunk would make an appearance.  Sure enough, one did, and it was also at the feeders after we got some snow on January 2nd.
Of course, my trusty animal friend, Ruby, still comes to visit and go for walks with me.
It was quite sparkly with frost this morning as we walked, which you can see a little bit in the photo.  

A row of nesting boxes is waiting with me for the arrival of tree swallows.  It will be awhile-- and  I'm trying to be patient, since I can't hibernate like the chipmunks.
Another new addition -- also waiting for spring,  waiting for someone else is this box.
I'm hoping a pair of Kestrels will find this new nesting box sometime in March.  (Thanks to my brother for the box.)
My husband promises to keep the field mowed so they can find lots of food in the hayfield to feed a family.

But for now, winter is settling in, with ice forming on the little creek.

At least the sun is shining today, as Ruby and I go walking.

And ice can be fun to see, too...
whether they be tiny icicles or large ones;
and if we get too tired of ice, Ruby and I can enjoy a touch of the tropics in our sunroom.
and another new addition in the window.
Thanks, Laura, for the Monarch in winter!










 



6 comments:

  1. Aww, your monarch looks so pretty! I hope it will bring you some hope of summer during these wintery days. :) Looks like your list is coming well! Do you usually get a pileated this soon? And if you're looking to get rid of one, I'd love a red squirrel for my feeder. ;)

    Love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura,
      Don't be too surprised if squirrels start showing up at your feeder (although if they don't maybe we can get the Hav-a-Hart trap out and bring you one :-) ) Ruby would love that! Yes, Pileated Woodpeckers are around here all year so we usually have one on the list pretty early. This one was quite co-operative and was in the little woods near the house. I am enjoying the monarch in the window!

      Love,
      Mom

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the wonderful winter walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it, Peggy, and thanks for your comment!

      Delete

Thanks for taking time to comment. I love to hear from my readers!