Swamp Four Seasons

Swamp Four Seasons
Blessed by the beauty of Creation -
Sharing what I see from my little place in His world!

Saturday, April 9, 2016

A Weird Week Weather-wise

So much for celebrating spring in my post called 'What's Happening Here'.  This week it was more like winter around here. 

Actually, it was kind of depressing and  I don't really even feel like writing about it!  But I will show you some pictures....
Our bluebirds were here after the snowstorm last weekend, but then they were scarce for awhile.  I saw them again today though, thankfully.  They must have been finding something to eat somewhere.
The goldfinches did look pretty in the snow.  Many of them look like they are almost done molting.

We also had a dark-eyed junco that stood out from the rest, with some unusual white feathers.  
I didn't take the photo crooked... the junco is perched on a pile of snow!

This grackle doesn't look too happy either.  Him and me both, with the snow bombarding us.
I really shouldn't complain.  I have a warm house and plenty of food.  I'm not sure what the tree swallows are finding to eat.  They typically eat insects while on the wing and I don't think there are too many insects flying around after the 14 degree night we had.
I'm kind of worried about them.  I can put food out for the birds that eat seeds, but not for them.
This mourning dove just sat in the snow-covered grass for awhile today.  Maybe he's depressed, too.

I figured today I should go out for a walk, even if I didn't feel much like it.  So my buddy, Gizmo, and I started out.  Almost immediately after we left the house, it began to snow.
We watched these robins in the field for awhile.  They didn't seem to be finding anything to eat.  The grass was already starting to get white with snow.
Giz and I kept going.  Pretty soon, he was starting to get white with snow!
Then I discovered I had dropped one of my gloves.  So we headed back the way we came so I could pick it up.
Before we got back to the house, the ground was really white.
Good luck, Mr. Robin!

Giz and I would just 'bird' from the house.  And, count our blessings we are not a goose sitting on eggs in a nest in the middle of the snowstorm.  (I took the next two photos from our front window).
Poor goose!  Not that she's complaining.  She sat thru hours of snow... I peeked at her from time to time.
Giz has the perfect spot to watch birds from, and he can even warm up his feet on the radiator at the same time.
There were lots of birds to watch.

And even bunnies!
Though it was sort of sad to look out the window at the daffodils.
At least this time of year the snow doesn't typically last very long.  

Case in point... this photo was taken yesterday:
and this one today:
Next thing we know, it will be green here again.  At least, I'm counting on it, and I'm sure so are the birds and animals!





 





3 comments:

  1. Well, I don't think I've ever seen a happy grackle and as for the rest Of The birds I feel sorry for them too but looks like there's a warmup soon (Monday) thanks for your blog and the pictures

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least the brightly colored spring birds stand out really nicely from the white snow!

    Beautiful photos as always. :)

    Love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the photos and enjoyed watching Giz romping in the field.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to comment. I love to hear from my readers!