Swamp Four Seasons

Swamp Four Seasons
Blessed by the beauty of Creation -
Sharing what I see from my little place in His world!

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Desperate Times Require Desperate Measures

Or, "The Dove who Dared!"

Yesterday I decided to remove the cage from one of our sunflower feeders.  Meant to keep squirrels and large birds from being able to eat from that particular feeder, it had seemed like a good idea.  But the small birds who could fit thru the holes were not using it.  Basically, it was being used as a perch for them to land on before hopping to the feeder next to it.  Only once in a great while would a bird go in for a seed, even after the feeder had been up for a couple of months.  So, I decided the cage might as well go.

It took the birds a little while to realize it was now just as easy to use as the other feeders.  Within a couple of hours though, the chickadees and finches were taking advantage of another spot to feast on sunflower seeds.   

The snow we've been having lately has brought huge numbers of birds to the feeders.  If the weather is really bad, I have to replenish the food a couple of time during the day.  Well, today, I looked out the window at noon and thought it was looking a little bare and the birds were hopping and scratching around trying to find food.  One dove, in particular, was desperate!!!

You see, doves are mostly ground feeders.
"Things are getting a little sparse here, please feed us!"
They will eat on the top of the bird table or on the deck, but typically they don't perch on the feeders.
So when I saw this dove on the feeder which no longer had the 'small-bird-only-cage', I had to watch to see what would happen!
 She spied all those seeds....
And she got one.
But she was curious.... she had to see what was on the other side, even if it was slippery walking around!

"Oh, more of the same on this side!"
"I'll eat some of these."
"Whoa, it's slippery!"
"I'll use my tail to balance myself better and eat a few more".
I was quite impressed with her daring and poise!

The other doves who weren't so brave also needed food, so after I took these photos, I went out and spread more seeds for them.  As you can see, they are quite plump-looking so I think they are pretty well feed!  ;-)
 Then again, considering the weather, they do need to keep their metabolism up!
"It's cold out here!"




1 comment:

  1. That dove was brave! You don't usually see them on the feeders. Thanks for the nice pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to comment. I love to hear from my readers!