Swamp Four Seasons

Swamp Four Seasons
Blessed by the beauty of Creation -
Sharing what I see from my little place in His world!

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Birds and Ice

Birds and ice was not the subject I was hoping to be writing about today.  ('Global Warming', where are you?  Oh, I forgot, it's 'Climate Change' now.)  

We did have some water in the swamp, but this morning, it's all ice again.  No birds in sight out there today:
Sorry if that is a depressing photo for March 26th.  I'm trying to have a 'thankful' attitude... but it's getting a bit hard.  

Spring -- where are you?  

Even the bluebirds have given up guarding the bird houses.  I still hear them singing sometimes though, so I guess I should, too.

There have been some more birds returning northward.
Or southward?
Or, not really sure where they should go?  These 3 photos were all taken of the same flock of Canada Geese, while I was standing in the same spot!
Our resident geese are back, too.
At least, they were.
Until this happened...
And this...
This spot of water got smaller and smaller yesterday afternoon.  This was the only goose I could see.  (There has been one goose who is 'single' and the other geese have made it an 'outcast' - honking at it and chasing it around).

This morning that goose is not anywhere in sight either, and the puddle is iced over.  
Sorry for the electric line in the photo... I didn't feel like going outside (brrr!) so this was taken from our window.
One heron was back and using a nearby spot on Monday.
I watched it for awhile (once again, from our window, thankful I was inside where it was warm!) and I'm happy to tell you it did catch something and eat it.
Then it flew off when it heard my hubby bringing the wood cart in our driveway (I'm sure he's getting tired of that chore!).
Okay, I'm thankful we have wood to keep our nice cozy house warm, and I'm thankful I don't have to stand in icy cold water to catch my food.  I'm thankful to be able to watch birds out my windows, even if the weather is not what I would wish for right now!  But sometimes, I think I'd be thankful for wings to be able to fly away, too.  I know which direction I'd head -- south!

After all that kind of depressing stuff, I'll leave you with a short video that makes me smile.  I videoed this a few days ago, when the geese were all worried over the 'single' goose I mentioned earlier.  Be sure to watch for the unfortunate goose near the end of the video, who falls thru the ice unexpectedly!  I'm also thankful that wasn't me!



1 comment:

  1. I do feel bad for the poor birds too, Mom, out in the nasty cold! Though I've really been enjoying hearing birds singing in the morning as I get ready for work. :)

    Love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to comment. I love to hear from my readers!