Swamp Four Seasons

Swamp Four Seasons
Blessed by the beauty of Creation -
Sharing what I see from my little place in His world!

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Hummingbirds and Books

I'm not feeling very inspired with writing ideas today.  I've written about hummingbirds quite a few times on the blog before and I just couldn't come up with anything new.  Maybe I used all my creativity writing the cinquains in my last post.  
But I'm still taking hummingbird photos and I've got to do something with them! So finally I did have an idea.  Instead of writing about them myself, I'll share where you can read about hummingbirds.  

I love to read and I love birds.... so of course I read a lot of books about birds.  
The two books on the left both have very interesting chapters about hummingbirds and the one on the right is completely focused on hummingbirds.  Here's a peek inside:
I'm not going to say more than that, except that I enjoyed them and you will, too, if you like to read about birds.  While I have all three of these on my own bookshelf, I want to put in a plug for your local library!  Even if they don't have a particular book you are looking for, they may be able to get it for you if you ask.  (If you live in PA they can get any book in the state library system thru "Access PA").  If you are looking for more suggestions for books go my post titled "From My Bookshelf" by clicking here.

Now, on with the hummingbird photos!
Hummingbird on Coleus flower
A bit of flower stuck to its bill.
Every year I plant scarlet runner beans on our garden fence for the hummingbirds.
Can you find the hummingbird in this photo?  Look in the next photo for a hint!
Hummingbirds don't often perch (except on feeders) to eat, but this one and the next one did.
Even if humans didn't plant special flowers for them or put up sugar-water feeders, the ruby-throats would be fine.  There are natural sources of food for them... such as the jewelweed flowers in the next photo.
One of the hardest things to capture in photos of male Ruby-throated Hummingbirds is their red gorgets.  The next two are the best photos I've taken showing that.  Guess I'll have to keep trying!






2 comments:

  1. Beautiful!! Ruby's been enjoying the scarlet runner vines as well, though for a different reason (though if she had a way to suck nectar out of flowers, I have no doubt that she would be gobbling that up too!) And thanks for the library plug. :)

    Love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, I laughed about Ruby sucking nectar out of flowers! I can just picture her doing that! You are welcome for the library plug -- wish more people would use our wonderful libraries.

      Love,
      Mom

      Delete

Thanks for taking time to comment. I love to hear from my readers!