Swamp Four Seasons

Swamp Four Seasons
Blessed by the beauty of Creation -
Sharing what I see from my little place in His world!

Monday, August 15, 2016

Summer Cinquains

We had a heat wave back in 2013 and I did a post called "Heat Wave Haiku".  It's been an even longer hot spell this summer (in my memory, not necessarily a meteorological fact) so I'm writing more poetry; since it's "Too hot for words" to quote from my first haiku in that old blogpost.  

This time, it's cinquains instead of haikus.  Don't know what a cinquain is?  I didn't either until I did a bit of research about types of poetry.  These are supposed to be so simple that children can write them.  Click here for "How to Write a Cinquain Poem".  I'm not really a poet, but I had fun with these.  I did not always completely follow the rules, but that's okay, right?  Artistic license and such?  

Now, on with Summer Cinquains:



Summer
Hot, humid
Sizzling, steaming, unremitting
Drains dogs and me
August
Hanging out under the ceiling fan.

Pups
Fun, four-legged
Playing, panting, resting
Sorry you are furry
Dogs

Turtle
Small, solitary
Daring, surprising, darling
Needs a new home
Snapper
Hawk
Young, hungry
Screeching, hunting, failing
Lucky for the rabbit
Red-tail
Insect
Primal, bizarre
Zooming, buzzing, sitting
Hope you are rare*
Dragonfly
Bird
Snowy, showy
Pursuing, stabbing, swallowing
Thanks for stopping by
Great Egret
Helicopter
Fanciful, fantastic
Incoming, speeding, sitting
Love your landing gear
Ruby-throat
Moth
Furry, tawny
Feeding, frolicking, flower-loving
Glad you like my garden
Clearwing
Nest
Hidden, ramshackle
Holding, protecting, swaying
Hope your eggs hatch
Cardinal
Flower
Scarlet, spectacular
Climbing, shading, blooming
Watering was worth it
Passionvine
These photos were all taken this week, so even in a heat wave there are things to enjoy and be thankful for... although the dogs and I are ready for cooler weather!

*In my last post, I had a dragonfly photo that my brother has since identified as a common male Eastern Amberwing.  He commented that I should "Keep looking" -- hence the "Hope you are rare" about this dragonfly! Update: Not rare (see comment below) but a pretty female Blue Dasher.

























4 comments:

  1. Your dragonfly is a Blue Dasher female. sorry not rare! HOT can't wait for September.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your poems! The ones about the pups especially made me laugh. :)

    Love,
    Laura

    P.S. - Did you have a blog hit from Canada last week? That was me!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, Thanks for reading from Canada! I did, actually, have two hits from Canada last week.

      Love, Mom

      Delete

Thanks for taking time to comment. I love to hear from my readers!